Living the Pledge to End Racism
Pledge to End Racism
I BELIEVE that every person has worth as an individual.
I BELIEVE that every person is entitled to dignity and respect, regardless of race or color.
I BELIEVE that every thought and every act of racial prejudice is harmful; if it is my thought or act, then it is harmful to me as well as to others.
Therefore, from this day forward I WILL strive daily to eliminate
racial prejudice from my thoughts and actions.
I WILL discourage racial prejudice by others at every opportunity.
I WILL treat all people with dignity and respect;
I WILL commit to working with others to transform the Greater Chicago region into a place that treats people of all races, ethnicities, and cultures with justice, equity, and compassion, and
I WILL strive daily to honor this pledge, knowing that the world will be a better place because of my effort.
2023 Workshop Series begins April 29, 2023
The Living the Pledge to End Racism workshop is designed to give participants confidence in their ability to talk about and confront racism wherever it lives. It helps to make the Pledge something that becomes an integral part of our daily lives. The primary goal of the workshop is to develop confidence in our abilities to:
- Integrate the Pledge into our daily lives
- Confront racism and bias in our everyday lives
- Recognize and challenge systemic racism
- Take leadership in ending racism in our community, our culture, and our lives
As part of the workshop, participants develop a community of support and an understanding of how to use support in deepening our work in building a just and equitable multicultural world.
The workshop series is for church members and non-members who have:
- engaged in other anti-racism/multiculturalism training. This workshop is designed to take your understanding and your competency to a deeper level, connecting you with other community activists.
- never taken a class about racism. This workshop will challenge you to invest in and deepen your learning so you can put yourself on the road to intercultural competence.
The 2023 Living the Pledge workshops will be held on Sat, April 29, 9 am – 3:30 pm, and Sun, May 7, Noon – 6:30 pm. Participants are asked to commit to being present at BOTH SESSIONS and to complete various reading and viewing assignments both in preparation for the first session as well as between sessions.
Space is currently limited to 16 participants. Register below. Once registered, you’ll receive an email with meeting info and information about pre-workshop resources. Should the workshop fill up, we will maintain a waitlist and those on it will be first in line to register for the next offering.